Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cleo Lucy: the bra I wanted to love

My first bra in a close-to-fitting size was a white Cleo Lucy in 32FF. I bought it at Nordstrom Rack, after trying on 30 other bras that didn't fit at all. In the dressing room, I was pleased- no spillage! But when I wore it a full day, a few fit issues emerged. The band is too big to offer much support at all. The wires are so wide, there is at least an inch and a half of empty cup on the sides. And I would every once in a while get some slight quadboob. Bending the wires helped a lot, though, and I sewed the band tighter. It sort of looks like a Frankenbra, but it feels much better now.

I figured I would order another Lucy in 28H, to fix the quadboob and tighten the band. This made everything worse. The wires are still huge, and now the taut band stretches them even further around me. The navy/pink color apparently has much more room in the tops of the cups than the white color so I have a ridiculous amount of empty room. And the gore is noticeably taller, so while the gore of the white Lucy sat underneath where my breast tissue becomes super close-set, the navy Lucy's wires sit right on that space, and they poke. They pooooke. It leaves deep, deep marks in my skin. Several times a day, I have to pull the wires away from my body to give my poor tissue time to feel better.

I tried to alter my navy Lucy to make it fit better. I took in the center gore, sewed up the extra space at the top of the cups, and wore it another day. It didn't help with the poking, so I popped the stitches out and listed the bra. I'm dedicated to not keeping anything I don't love.

I know the Lucy works for a lot of women. I think it's a great bra to start out with- good for full-on-bottom breasts, but forgiving enough for many full-on-top breasts too. But for me, the wires are all wrong and the balconette style is not ideal.

Are there any bras you have a love/hate relationship with?

No comments:

Post a Comment